Dr. David Burbank
After raising sheep on his properties and occasionally selling off small parcels, Dr. Burbank sold his holdings in 1886 to Los Angeles land speculators who formed the Providencia Land, Water & Development Company. The new owners laid out a business district and divided surrounding properties into small farms and residential lots. They called the town Burbank and opened the tract for sale on May 8, 1887.
Burbank officially became the Valley’s first independent City as voters approved incorporation on July 1, 1911. At the time the City had a population of 500.